Aoraki Development Business & Tourism News
Business Excellence Awards, ADBT Business Survey, Cruise Ship Visits and more
Business Excellence Awards 2014 - Finalists Announced, People's Choice Voting Opens
nine local businesses are now in with a chance to win the supreme title at the Business
Excellence Awards 2014. These outstanding businesses are from right across the South Canterbury region and are finalists in each of the eight award categories.
The gala awards function
will be held in Timaru at the Caroline Bay Hall on Friday 29 August 2014,
featuring celebrity MC Paul Ego. Learn about this year's finalists and vote for your favourite at www.southcanterbury.org.nz/awards
Cruise Ship Visits
There are four cruise ships scheduled to visit Timaru this
coming cruise season:
Cruise lines make the decision to visit based on a number of
factors – with a destination being seen as “cruise friendly” being at the top
of the list. A big part of this is having shops that are open and welcoming for
cruise passengers. With the dates of two of the cruise ship visits falling
between Christmas and New Year, we urge all retailers in the Timaru and
Geraldine CBD shopping areas to consider remaining open on 29 and 30 December,
and opening on Sunday 11 January and Sunday 1 February.
Regardless of the numbers of passengers who may
visit individual stores, the overall impression of a welcoming retail community
is crucial to a visit to Timaru receiving a good report from the cruise lines.
For more information on how ADBT can support cruise ship visits, contact Tourism Manager, Katerina Tiscenko.
Help Us Plan Our Services - ADBT Business Survey
Please complete this short, confidential survey to help ADBT plan and prioritise the services we offer to
The survey, which only takes a
few minutes, will provide us with valuable insights into the priorities local
businesses place on different aspects of economic growth, the type of support
services businesses value most, and how ADBT can reflect the needs of
businesses through the services we provide.
6 Things You Need to Know About Gigatown
Timaru is now in second place on the leaderboard. Thanks to all businesses who participated in the gigaquiz last month, great job!
For more information head to www.southcanterbury.org.nz/gigatown
- A nationwide competition in which the winning town gets its UFB internet upgraded to 1Gbps (100x faster than standard broadband).
- Timaru is the perfect Gigatown because we have a diverse, vibrant economy similar to that of wider NZ and therefore the innovation we create using the 1Gpbs will have wide application throughout the country.
- The top five towns on the www.gigatown.co.nz leaderboard in September will go through to the finals.
- The Gigatown finals will run for two months and New Zealanders will be asked nominate which town should be the Gigatown. This is an unprecedented chance for Timaru to showcase itself as an innovative and forward looking place to live and do business.
- The Gigatown Timaru campaign is driven by ADBT, with Timaru District Council support, and mayor Damon Odey leading the charge. Many individuals, businesses and schools have also supported Timaru’s bid to be NZ’s most connect city.
- You and your friends & family can help: join up at www.gigatown.co.nz, choose Timaru, and complete the Quiz Masterclass.
Events Calendar – Avoiding Date Clashes
The events hub on the South Canterbury website is one of the most popular parts of the site and is used extensively by both visitors and locals. The hub includes an events calendar and event planning resources. If you are planning a local event, please check the events calendar before confirming a date. In this way we can help avoid clashes, which can affect both event attendance and accommodation availability.
If you are involved with organising or promoting an event, please send us the details via the “promote your event" form so that we can promote your event online. The form is easy to use and once the information is loaded onto the events calendar, it will help other event planners avoid clashing with the date of your event.
Cnr Stafford St & Strathallan St | PO Box 560 | Timaru | New Zealand
ddi: 03 687 2735 | ph: 03 687 2682 | fax: 03 688 9913
email: email@example.com | website: www.southcanterbury.org.nz
Connect with us on:
This email message contains information that is confidential and which may be subject to privilege.
If you are not the intended recipient, you must not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this
email. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by email, facsimile or
telephone and return the original message to us by email. Thank you.